Carl Connection: Software Engineer Intern
This opportunity is brought to you by a Carleton alumnus, Tristan Leigh '17. If you have any questions about Village or this role prior to applying, feel free to reach out to Tristan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who We Are
Here at Village, we are trying to greatly reduce the opportunity gap that exists in out-of-school education. We believe that we can do so with our online marketplace that matches families to vetted, highly-reviewed programs in their area, and by utilizing large donations and government grants to help pay for registration fees for said programs.
You will be part of the Village engineering team working among talented engineers, product managers, and designers in a fast-paced, rapidly growing environment. Our team is focused not only on the functional but also on creating an inspiring, usable product for all of our customers!
If you'd like to know a little bit more about how the company works, this is a great resource: https://partners.village.com/
About the Role
As a software engineering intern at Village, you will join a fast-paced, mission-focused team and help scale its rapidly growing product! You will work closely with product managers, engineers, and UX designers/researchers to iterate and build important product features that your team will launch and use in production. You’ll be given a project and a mentor and work closely together to design, test, and ship the project to production to see its impact! As an engineer, you may have at least one area in which you’re an expert and maybe you want to stick with that expertise, but the optionality of front-end vs back-end or a taste of both is up to you (let us know in your application what you're passionate about)!
What You'll Do
- Own a product feature implementation end-to-end, from initial concept through shipping and beyond
- Grow your skill-set and learn a lot about engineering in the start-up industry
- Participate on an Agile team, working as a team member and independently
- Collaborate on requirements, design options and root cause of failures with partners and teammates
- Give/Receive feedback in peer code inspections to ensure quality
- Receive 1:1 mentorship from an engineer who has been in the industry and can provide valuable career advice
Who You Are
- Currently enrolled in/studying for a Bachelor's in Computer Science or similar fields
- Able to work full-time hours five days a week throughout the course of the internship (interns will be able to request time off and will observe any company holidays alongside other staffers)
- Creative, resourceful team player, and able to work collaboratively
- Passionate about the potential of technology to make the world a better place. You may or may not have a strong personal tie to out-of-school education, but either way you are excited about the opportunity to apply your talents to creating equitable social change
- Proficient in common front-end or back-end programming languages/frameworks (our tech stack is Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, NextJS, and React Web, but any language or framework is okay)
- Ability to write code including basic design, test driven development, logic/flow, compiling and troubleshooting
- Knowledge of common object-oriented design patterns
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to Village or get in touch! We're a strong proponent of learning, and believe that anyone who is passionate enough can find the will to learn new things and provide value!
- Internship will last 10 weeks from June to August. Start/End dates can be flexible depending on your schedule, as long as it is the full 10 weeks! Feel free to inquire about possibilities through the interview process.
- Internship is remote-first, but allows for the possibility to work in-person in our office in Eau Claire!
Click to see a Carleton exclusive website.