Carl Connection: Product Management Intern
This opportunity is brought to you by a Carleton alumnus, Tristan Leigh '17. If you have any questions about Village or this role prior to applying, feel free to reach out to Tristan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who We Are
Here at Village, we are trying to greatly reduce the opportunity gap that exists in out-of-school education. We believe that we can do so with our online marketplace that matches families to vetted, highly-reviewed programs in their area, and by utilizing large donations and government grants to help pay for registration fees for said programs.
You will be part of the Village product team working among talented product managers, marketers, business operators, and people who work directly with customer acquisitions in a fast-paced, rapidly growing environment. Our team is focused on making the world a better place, which starts with our users. To do so requires a team effort from all sides of the company!
If you'd like to know a little bit more about how the company works, this is a great resource:
About the Role
Want to work in product/business for tech start-ups but not quite sure what you want to do? If so, this may be the position for you! As a product management intern at Village, you will join a fast-paced, mission-focused team and help scale its rapidly growing product. You will work closely with product managers, marketing/finance, and partnerships to learn what it’s like to help your customers and scale your product in a start-up environment. This is a rare opportunity to get a feel for what might interest you in the future by rotating around different parts of the company and working on smaller projects to get a taste of what each role can offer! We believe that learning the ins and outs of other departmental functions is a key skill in product management!
What You'll Do
- Work with our product team and learn how to product/roadmap plan, scope out tickets, and help run an Agile engineering team
- Work with our marketing team and learn how to capture a market audience nationally
- Work with our operations team and learn the different ins and outs of running a startup; i.e. budgeting, forecasting, HR, etc.
- Work with our partnerships team and talk with customers/learn about the best ways to acquire them from the context of our business
- Receive 1:1 mentorship from a member from each team who has been in the industry and can provide valuable career advice
Who You Are
- Currently enrolled in/studying for a Bachelor's
- Able to work full-time hours five days a week throughout the course of the internship (interns will be able to request time off and will observe any company holidays alongside other staffers)
- Creative, resourceful team player, and able to work collaboratively
- Passionate about the potential of technology to make the world a better place. You may or may not have a strong personal tie to out-of-school education, but either way you are excited about the opportunity to apply your talents to creating equitable social change
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to Village or get in touch! We're a strong proponent of learning, and believe that anyone who is passionate enough can find the will to learn new things and provide value!
- Internship will last 10 weeks from June to August. Start/End dates can be flexible depending on your schedule, as long as it is the full 10 weeks! Feel free to inquire about possibilities through the interview process.
- Internship is remote-first, but allows for the possibility to work in-person in our office in Eau Claire!
- Internship is unpaid (for now) but is working with Carleton directly to utilize its internship funding grant to allow for a stipend for interns! We strongly suggest you apply for internship funding from Carleton online here: https://www.carleton.edu/career/students/jobs/internships/fund/internship-funding-application/
Click to see a Carleton exclusive website.